Baptism Preparation Class
All parents and godparents must attend a baptism preparation class either at St. Monica or another Catholic parish. No reservations necessary. All classes meet at 7:15p in the Duval Center unless otherwise indicated.
May 8, June 12 (please check back for dates through December)
Fr. Mark Martinez
(310) 566-1505 | email
The Sacrament of Baptism
At Baptism the Christian Community welcomes and accepts the child at the invitation of the parents. Confirmation can be seen as the child, when he or she is no longer a child makes a personal choice to accept the Community. Thus, next to the parents as the single biggest influence on the life of a child, the Christian Community is the biggest gift parents can give to their children. However, in order for the Christian Community to help parents in the formation of the child, he or she must be present to it and in it. The support of the rest of the family, the Christian Community, helps parents realize that they are not alone in raising their children. We are all responsible in some way, and we work together to shoulder that responsibility.Therefore, communal Baptism, with other children, is strongly encouraged.
1. Register your child for baptism (two months in advance of the date). REGISTER NOW >>
2. At least one parent must be a Catholic.
3. Godparent(s) must be at least 16 years old, a confirmed Catholic, practicing their faith, and be willing to accept the responsibility of supporting their godchild in faith.
4. If you have only one Godparent, then that person can be either male or female. If you have two Godparents, then one must be male and the other female.
5. Both the parents and the Godparents must attend the Baptism Preparation Class which we offer here at St. Monica. You may attend a class at another Catholic parish (please provide a certificate of completion with the Baptism Name and date of Baptism in the upper right hand corner, clearly printed). Mail the certificate to St. Monica Church, 725 California Avenue, Santa Monica, California 90403, Attention: Infant Baptism
2013 Baptism Dates
April 21, 28; May 12, 26; Jun 2, 16, July 7, 21; Aug 4, 11, 18
Please note: This schedule is subject to change. Contact the Parish Office at (310) 566-1500 to confirm dates and ask for availability on the date you have chosen. No baptisms are held during Lent.
Baptisms begin at 3:00 p.m. in the Church. Please arrive by 2:45 p.m. to check in.
All the sacraments are free, the same as God's love for us. However, we ask you to help contribute to the ongoing support of the Church with a suggested donation of $100. Your gift should be given at the time your child is baptized.