Baptism Preparation Class
All parents and godparents must attend a baptism preparation class either at St. Monica or another Catholic parish. No reservations necessary. All classes meet at 7:15p in the Duval Center unless otherwise indicated.
February 11, March 11, April 15, May 13, June 10, July 8, August 12, September 9, October 14, November 11, December 9
(310) 566-1523 | email
The Sacrament of Baptism
Baptism is the first Sacrament celebrated in the process of becoming a full member in the Catholic Church. The waters of Baptism symbolize life and death, washing and cleansing, and the mystery of new life out of death. Through Baptism we are reborn as daughters and sons of God. At the Baptism of a child (or any person), we celebrate and reflect on God's unconditional love. Baptism welcomes the child into our faith community.
The two godparents should be practicing Catholics who have been fully initiated into the Church through the sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation. (A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community may be admitted only in company with a Catholic sponsor.) Godparents represent the spiritual community of the parish. Being a godparent is much more than an honorary title. Through Baptism, godparents enter a life-long faith relationship with the child … an unbreakable bond.
1. Children under the age of 8 should be registered online at least two months in advance of the date.
REGISTER NOW >>
To register children aged 8-17 years, contact Suzette Sornborger at email@example.com or
If you are 18 or older, contact Sr. Catherine Ryan to register at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 566-1540.
2. At least one parent must be a Catholic.
3. Godparent(s) must be at least 16 years old, a confirmed Catholic, practicing their faith, and be willing to accept the responsibility of supporting their godchild in faith.
4. If you have only one Godparent, then that person can be either male or female. If you have two Godparents, then one must be male and the other female.
5. Both the parents and the Godparents must attend the Baptism Preparation Class which we offer here at St. Monica. You may attend a class at another Catholic parish (please provide a certificate of completion with the Baptism Name and date of Baptism in the upper right hand corner, clearly printed). Mail the certificate to St. Monica Church, 725 California Avenue, Santa Monica, California 90403, Attention: Infant Baptism
2015: April 26 (FULL); May 10 (FULL), May 31(FULL); June 14 (FULL), June 21 (FULL); July 12 (FULL), 26; August 9, 23; September 13, 27; October 11, 25; November 8, 22; December 6, 13, 27
2016: January 10, 24; February 7, April 3, 10, 17; May 1, 15, June 26
Please note: This schedule is subject to change. Contact the Parish Office at (310) 566-1500 to confirm dates and ask for availability on the date you have chosen. No baptisms are held during Lent.
Baptisms begin at 3:00 p.m. in the Church. Please arrive by 2:45 p.m. to check in.
All the sacraments are free, the same as God's love for us. However, we ask you to help contribute to the ongoing support of the Church with a suggested donation of $100. Your gift should be given at the time your child is baptized.